Bay - Pneumatic Tube Station
The Bay - Pneumatic Tube Station (PTS) provides an area for dispatching and receiving of items via the pneumatic tube system.
This Standard Component represents a department based bay and additional area, FFE and services will be required for a central receiving and processing area in a pathology or pharmacy department.
- To be collocated or located with clear oversite from a staff station or within a staff only area.
- Arrival notification alarms must be programmable for different times and scenarios depending on service requirements.
- Security requirements are to be considered. If the station is to receive deliveries from Pharmacy or is in an area accessed by the public then secure access to a lockable receiving basket may be required depending on location of the bay.
- Station may be a pass through or end station and receive/dispatch through the floor or ceiling depending on location and system configuration.
- Radio frequency identification (RFID) technology may be considered by projects to reduce errors, improve traceability and to enable dynamic/intuitive routing to reduce "traffic jams". This technology involves embedded RFID tags in cannisters that are read by receivers at tube stations on dispatch/arrival and at interchange points in the system.
- Where multiple services send/receive products via the pneumatic tube system, e.g. pathology and pharmacy, colour coding the cannisters for the different streams is recommended. Colour coding to differentiate between cannisters from high priority areas, e.g. emergency and intensive care vs general wards may also be considered.
Room Data Sheet
Room Layout Sheet
Find past versions of documents here