The following updated health planning units (HPUs) have been uploaded:
- 134 – Adult Acute Mental Health Inpatient Unit
- 135 – Older Peoples Acute Mental Health Inpatient Unit
- 136 – Non Acute Inaptient Mental Health Unit
- 137 – Mental Health Intensive Care Unit.
These HPUs describe the operational, functional and design requirements for a range of mental health inpatient units and should be read in conjunction with HPU 131 Mental Health – Overarching Guideline. The recent revision of these documents has been informed by consultation with clinical experts and consumer representatives.
Key changes to the documents include:
- removal of duplicated information included in HPU 131 Mental Health - Overarching Guideline, published in March 2018;
- an update of all content with a focus on contemporary recovery oriented care models of service delivery and design solutions that support active engagement between consumers and staff;
- inclusion of design strategies that support self-management through a range of therapeutic spaces, e.g. quiet, activity, de-escalation suite and sensory modulation rooms; and
- revisions to the schedules of accommodation including updates to align with contemporary models of care and the recently revised AusHFG mental health standard components.
A thank you is extended to all those who have contributed to the development of these revised AusHFG resources.