An updated health planning unit, HPU510 Maternity Unit (Revision 7) has been uploaded and outlines the specific requirements for the planning and design of maternity services including outpatient care, birthing and inpatient care. This document is a revision of the HPU developed for NSW Health and issued for Australasian use in 2006. Its development has been informed by an extensive consultation process with clinicians and post occupancy evaluation of recently completed facilities.
Major changes include:
- A major restructure of the document across all sections
- A general review of all information including the development of some key operational policies
- An update of internal functional zones which is now reflected in the functional relationships diagram and schedule of accommodation
- An updated SoA with changes of room sizes for key rooms such as birth rooms, ensuites etc
- An updated Functional Relationship Diagram.
AHIA is currently in the process of updating the Standard Components associated with the Maternity Unit. A new Standard Component for a birth room with bath is being developed. For the purposes of those planning maternity units, the sizes detailed in the schedule of accommodation should be used to inform room sizes. We expect to publish the updated Standard Components later this year.
A thank you is extended to all those who have contributed to the review of this document.