HPU 550 Pathology Unit describes the operational, functional and design requirements for hospital based pathology services.
An updated revision of HPU 550 Pathology Unit (Revision 7.0, May 2022) has been uploaded. The revised version has been informed by an extensive consultation process with clinical, operational and technical experts.
Key changes to the document include:
- updates to the range of pathology disciplines provided in line with the Royal College of Pathologists of Australia (RCPA);
- inclusion of information relating to the increasing use of automation in pathology and transition to digital pathology systems;
- updated information relating to the optimal location of pathology units;
- inclusion of key planning principles relating to the provision of open plan, flexible, modular designs; early analysis of specimen workflows; and early analysis of projected workforce and equipment requirements;
- updated planning and design considerations relating to outpatient specimen collection services;
- additional design considerations relating to each pathology unit zone including recommended arrangements to support optimal specimen workflows;
- recommendations regarding the arrangement of services within core laboratories; and
- inclusion of detailed indicative schedule of accommodations for three pathology unit scenarios, acknowledging that adjustments will be required to reflect the role of the unit within the network, the scope of services provided, the level of automation being implemented and the projected volume of activity.