Cardiac Investigation Unit
HPU170 describes the operational, functional and design requirements for a Cardiac Investigations Unit (CIU) including cardiac catheter laboratories, cardiac diagnostics and specialist cardiac outpatient services.
An updated revision of HPU 170 Cardiac Investigations Unit (Revision 3, January 2020) has been uploaded. The revised version has been informed by an extensive consultation process with clinical and technical experts.
Key changes to the document include:
- general update to the content and flow of information;
- updated information included relating to models of care for cardiac investigations units;
- inclusion of key considerations relating to contemporary operational models for cardiac catheter laboratories;
- updated information included relating to patient recovery requirements associated with cardiac catheter laboratories and trans-oesophageal echo (TOE);
- inclusion of information relating to the reprocessing of reusable devices, in particular relating to TOE probes;
- schedule of accommodation restructured to reflect an integrated cardiac investigations unit with shared access to reception, waiting, support and recovery areas; and
- update of areas to reflect the recently revised AusHFG Cardiac Investigations Unit standard components and benchmarking data.